Savings Bonds at Treasury Direct- According to the US Government, "Billions of dollars in savings bonds have stopped earning interest, but haven’t been cashed." You should cash or reinvest these bonds so your money can start working for you again. You should check periodically to determine if your savings bonds are still earning interest
Money at the Federal Treasury Hunt- Unclaimed money may be
found in the form of savings bonds that you haven't received in the mail
or federal securities owned by a deceased loved one.
According to the US Treasury, "Each year, about 25,000 payments are returned
to the Department of the Treasury as undeliverable."
Unclaimed Veterans Insurance- The VA website states, "Unclaimed insurance funds are owed to certain current and former policyholders or their beneficiaries. The money is owed to individuals whom we have been unable to locate in order to make payment."
Unclaimed Money at HUD - If you had an FHA-insured mortgage, you may be eligible for a refund from HUD/FHA. An often overlooked source of unclaimed money.
Unclaimed Money at the FDIC - When a failed financial institution (bank or savings and loan) with federal deposit insurance is liquidated, the FDIC resolution division is responsible for paying:
- Unclaimed insured deposits up to $100,000, Dividends declared on excess deposits over the $100,000 insured amount, Dividends declared on general creditor claims
- Funds distributed to the shareholders of the failed institution.
In many instances these funds remain unclaimed because:
- The insured deposit is never claimed from the assuming financial institution.
- The dividend check on the excess deposit amount is not cashed.
- The dividend check on the general creditor claim is not cashed.
- The check to the shareholder is not cashed.
- A valid address is not on file and the dividend check has been returned to the FDIC.
Money at the Bank of Canada- Unclaimed Money in Canada
Unclaimed Money in British Columbia - British Columbia Unclaimed Property Society
Curateur Public Quebec- Unclaimed property in Quebec.
Tax and Revenue Administration
Alberta Finance and Enterprise 9811 - 109 Street
Edmonton, AB T5K 2L5 PHONE: 780-427-3044
Australia - Australian Securities and Investments Commission- unclaimed money held by The Australian Commonwealth.
France - Unclaimed Money held by banks in France. Website in French only.
New Zealand - Unclaimed money held by the Inland Revenue Department in New Zealand.